Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Bail (or house arrest?) in Uganda

Gen. David Sejusa of the Uganda People's Defence Force has been released on bail pending trial by court-martial. If so, how come there are troops literally camped out outside his home? Details here from The Observer. Excerpt:
When this writer visited Sejusa's residence on Wednesday morning, there were 10 army tents, five on each side of the gate outside the compound. At the gate, one bodyguard came out. When this writer asked to speak to the general, the bodyguard said it is no longer easy to see Sejusa without an appointment. 
"Things have changed these days. You must first call him and when he allows you to come, he will inform those soldiers over there," the bodyguard said, pointing to the more than 10 soldiers outside. 
Sejusa couldn't pick his calls nor respond to this writer's phone messages. Interviewed on Wednesday, Sejusa's lawyer David Mushabe confirmed more soldiers have been deployed at his client's residence.
CfJoseph HellerCatch-22:
Maj. Major Major Major: Sergeant, from now on, I don't want anyone to come in and see me while I'm in my office. Is that clear?

First Sgt. Towser: Yes, sir. What do I say to people who want to come in and see you while you're in your office?

Maj. Major Major Major: Tell them I'm in and ask them to wait.

First Sgt. Towser: For how long?

Maj. Major Major Major: Until I've left.

First Sgt. Towser: And then what do I do with them?

Maj. Major Major Major: I don't care.

First Sgt. Towser: May I send people in to see you after you've left?

Maj. Major Major Major: Yes.

First Sgt. Towser: You won't be here then, will you?

Maj. Major Major Major: No.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation and must be submitted under your real name. Anonymous comments will not be posted (even though the form seems to permit them).